Robert A. Malkin
Professor of the Practice and Director of Engineering World Health
Professor Malkin is interested in medical instrumentation in the developing world.
Dr. Malkin is also the founder of Engineering World Health and the Global Public Service Academies. These unique study abroad programs allow undergraduates (EWH) and high school students (GPSA) to study and work in developing world healthcare settings. Dr. Malkin also conducts research and development focused on medical equipment in the developing world.
- Office Location: 201 North Building
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5131, (919) 660-8266
- Email Address:
- Web Pages:
|BS||University of Michigan||1984|
Professor Malkin's work on medical instrumentation in the developing world has been supported by Engineering World Health, The National Institutes of Health, The American Heart Association, The Whitaker Foundation, the National Science Foundation and other organizations. The DHT-Lab runs educational programs such as the EWH Summer Institute and formal classes and provides research and product development opportunities for undergraduates interested in developing world healthcare technology.
Engineering World Health. is a unique study abroad program that allows undergraduates to study and work in developing world hospitals. Dr. Malkin and his associates have helped hospitals in Sudan, Nigeria, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Haiti, Liberia, Sierra Leone and many other places. If you came to this site looking for high school programs, consider visiting the Global Public Service Academies a non-Duke program run by Dr. Malkin.
- BME 290.01 - INTERMEDIATE TOPICS
- BME 462L.001 - DESIGN DEVELOPING WORLD
- BME 462L.01L - DESIGN DEVELOPING WORLD
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Malkin, Robert and Keane, Allison, Evidence-based approach to the maintenance of laboratory and medical equipment in resource-poor settings., Med Biol Eng Comput (2010) , [doi] [abs].
- R.A. Malkin, V. Anand, Design and Testing of a Novel Phototherapy for the Developing World, IEEE EMB Magazine, vol 29 no. 2 (2010), pp. 37-43.
- Malkin, Robert A., Barriers for medical devices for the developing world., Expert Rev Med Devices, vol 4 no. 6 (2007), pp. 759--763 , [doi].
- Malkin, Robert A., Technologies for clinically relevant physiological measurements in developing countries., Physiol Meas, vol 28 no. 8 (2007), pp. R57--R63 , [doi] [abs].
- Malkin, Robert A., Design of health care technologies for the developing world., Annu Rev Biomed Eng, vol 9 (2007), pp. 567--587 , [doi] [abs].