Jennifer L West
Fitzpatrick Family University Professor of Engineering
Jennifer West’s research in biomaterials and tissue engineering involves the synthesis, development, and application of novel, biofunctional materials, and the use of biomaterials and engineering approaches to study biological problems. Current projects include the design of ECM-mimetic hydrogel materials, novel microfabrication strategies for biomimetic patterning, and nanoparticle theranostics.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Fitzpatrick Family University Professor of Engineering
- Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor of Cell Biology
- Professor in the Department of Chemistry
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. University of Texas at Austin, 1996
West's research in biomaterials, nanotechnology and tissue engineering involves the synthesis, development, and application of novel biofunctional materials, and the use of biomaterials and engineering approaches to study biological problems.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Admiral of the Texas Navy, Governor of Texas, 2010
- Best Discovery of 2003, Nanotechnology Now, 2003
- BioHouston's 2009 Women in Science Award, 2009
- CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 1999
- Duncan Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement, Rice University, 2003
- Excellence in Research Mentorship Award, Rice University, 2007
- Fellow, Biomedical Engineering Society, 2008
- Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering, 2005
- Frank Annunzio Award, Christopher Columbus Foundation, 2004
- Hershel M. Rich Invention Award, Rice University, 2003
- Hershel M. Rich Invention Award, Rice University, 2001
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Professor, 2006
- HSEMB Oustanding Young Scientist Award, 1998
- Inventor of the Year Award, State Bar of Texas, 2010
- J. M. Chance Prize for Excellence in Teaching, Rice University, 2002
- Most Cited Paper, Annual of Biomedical Engineering, 2011
- Most Highly Cited Papers, NanoLetters, 2005
- Nanotechnology Researchers of the Year, Small Times Magazine, 2004
- O'Donnell Award in Engineering, The Academy of Medicine, Engineering and Science of Texas, 2008
- Outstanding Faculty Associate, Weiss College, Rice University, 2001
- Outstanding Research in Drug Delivery Award, Cygnus-CRS, 2000
- Outstanding Research in Drug Delivery Award, Cygnus-CRS, 1994
- Outstanding Younger Investigator Award, Society for Biomaterials, 2000
- Parke-Davis Atorvastatin Research Award, 1999
- Quantum Award, National Institute of Health, NIBIB, 2006
- Samuel Lunden Scholarship, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1988
- Secretariat Lecturer, American Chemical Society, 2001
- Tech Review TR 100 Most Innovative Young Scientists, MIT Technology Review, 2003
- University Fellow, University of Texas, 1995
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Cuchiara, ML; Horter, KL; Banda, OA; West, JL, Covalent immobilization of stem cell factor and stromal derived factor 1α for in vitro culture of hematopoietic progenitor cells, Acta Biomaterialia, vol 9 no. 12 (2013), pp. 9258-9269 [abs].
- Larin, KV; Syed, SH; Coughlin, AJ; Wang, S; West, JL; Dickinson, ME; Larina, IV, OCT guided microinjections for mouse embryonic research, Proceedings of SPIE, vol 8593 (2013) [10.1117/12.2006213] [abs].
- Baird, BN; Schliekelman, MJ; Ahn, YH; Chen, Y; Roybal, JD; Gill, BJ; Mishra, DK; Erez, B; O'Reilly, M; Yang, Y; al, E, Fibulin-2 Is a Driver of Malignant Progression in Lung Adenocarcinoma, PLoS One, vol 8 no. 6 (2013) [10.1371/journal.pone.0067054] [abs].
- Tseng, H; Cuchiara, ML; Durst, CA; Cuchiara, MP; Lin, CJ; West, JL; Grande-Allen, KJ, Fabrication and mechanical evaluation of anatomically-inspired quasilaminate hydrogel structures with layer-specific formulations, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol 41 no. 2 (2013), pp. 398-407 [10.1007/s10439-012-0666-5] [abs].
- Soni, SD; Song, W; West, JL; Khera, M, Nitric oxide-releasing polymeric microspheres improve diabetes-related erectile dysfunction, Journal of Sexual Medicine, vol 10 no. 8 (2013), pp. 1915-1925 [10.1111/jsm.12216] [abs].