Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Member of Duke Cancer Institute
- Office Location: 2353C Ciemas, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 613-2147
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. Georgia Institute of Technology, 2006
- B.S. Georgia Institute of Technology, 2001
Dr. Gersbach’s research interests are in gene therapy, biomolecular and cellular engineering, regenerative medicine, and synthetic biology.
Tissue Repair, Tissue Engineering
Polymer and Protein Engineering
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Capers and Marion McDonald Award for Excellence in Teaching and Research, 2013
- NSF Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, 2012
- Basil O'Connor Starter Scholar Research Award, March of Dimes, 2011
- NIH Director's New Innovator Award, 2011
- Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award, Oak Ridge Associated Universities, 2011
- Scientist Development Grant, American Heart Association, 2010
- Hartwell Individual Biomedical Research Award, 2009
- National Cancer Institute Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2007-2009
- F.L. Suddath Memorial Award, 2005
- National Institutes of Health National Research Service Award, 2002-2004
- Georgia Institute of Technology President’s Scholarship, 1998
- BME 260L: Modeling Cellular and Molecular Systems
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 562: Biology by Design (GE, MC)
- BME 590: Advanced Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 590: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 711S: Biological Engineering Seminar Series (CBIMMS and CBTE)
- BME 712S: Biological Engineering Seminar Series (CBIMMS and CBTE)
- BME 899: Special Readings in Biomedical Engineering
- EGR 391: Projects in Engineering
- GENOME 293: Research Independent Study Genome Sciences
- GENOME 294: Research Independent Study Genome Sciences
- ME 717S: Biological Engineering Seminar Series (CBIMMS and CBTE)
- ME 718S: Biological Engineering Seminar Series (CBIMMS and CBTE)
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Gersbach, CA; Perez-Pinera, P, Activating human genes with zinc finger proteins, transcription activator-like effectors and CRISPR/Cas9 for gene therapy and regenerative medicine., Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Targets, vol 18 no. 8 (2014), pp. 835-839 [10.1517/14728222.2014.913572] [abs].
- Glass, KA; Link, JM; Brunger, JM; Moutos, FT; Gersbach, CA; Guilak, F, Tissue-engineered cartilage with inducible and tunable immunomodulatory properties., Biomaterials, vol 35 no. 22 (2014), pp. 5921-5931 [10.1016/j.biomaterials.2014.03.073] [abs].
- Kabadi, AM; Gersbach, CA, Engineering Synthetic TALE and CRISPR/Cas9 Transcription Factors for Regulating Gene Expression., Methods (2014) [10.1016/j.ymeth.2014.06.014] [abs].
- Brunger, JM; Huynh, NP; Guenther, CM; Perez-Pinera, P; Moutos, FT; Sanchez-Adams, J; Gersbach, CA; Guilak, F, Scaffold-mediated lentiviral transduction for functional tissue engineering of cartilage., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, vol 111 no. 9 (2014), pp. E798-E806 [10.1073/pnas.1321744111] [abs].
- Gersbach, CA; Gaj, T; Barbas, CF, Comparing Genome Editing Technologies, Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology News, vol 34 no. 5 (2014), pp. 1, 32-34 [10.1089/gen.34.05.02] [abs].